Wednesday, October 03, 2012

quotes by Nadine Gordimer

Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever.

You can't change a regime on the basis of compassion. There's got to be something harder.

I shall never write an autobiography, I'm much too jealous of my privacy for that.

When the six-year-old daughter of a friend of mine overheard her father telling someone that I had been awarded the Nobel Prize, she asked whether I had ever received it before. He replied that the Prize was something you could get only once. Whereupon the small girl thought a moment: 'Oh' she said, 'so it's like chicken-pox.'

source

upd, source:
On Monday morning (July 14 2014), news came that Nadine Gordimer, who won the 1991 Nobel Prize in Literature, died Sunday, in Johannesburg. She was ninety years old.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...